Scratch Computer Programming
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Scratch the surface of programming with Scratch! Developed by M.I.T, the Scratch platform is one of the most engaging ways to teach kids to code. Students learn the basics of computer programming by arranging puzzle-like blocks into lines of code in a drag-&-drop graphical interface. Possible projects include video games, animations, simulators, and even role-playing games. After the class, projects are shared with family and friends, and kids can continue to work on their projects from home.
About Empow Studios:
Empow’s learning philosophy based on creative play borrows from John Dewey’s instrumentalism, Piaget’s constructivism, and Papert’s constructionism in asserting that passions, perceptions, and experience play a crucial role in how a person builds and maintains his or her understanding of the world. Even in the supposedly coldly rational world of STEM, love and play drive learning. They are what makes our lives meaningful, worthwhile, and fun. That’s where we start.
Today, much of that creative play (and future work) takes place in digital, virtual, and robotic environments. Empow Studios supports not only active participation and developing literacy in that playground, but also self-efficacy and creativity. Empowering kids means giving them the tools not only to navigate their future landscapes, but be active and intentional creators of it.
Goals and Objectives:
- Be able to recognize and describe parts of the Scratch interface, as well as simple Events and Motion.
- Be able to recall and reproduce Scratch actions including looks, sound and the pen.
- Be able to recognize and describe how loops work
- Develop the skills to wield oject instances, variables, and various operations.
- Develop the skills to create functions and test/debu your program.
- Understand the basic principles of designing a program from problemt to solution.